Georgia Southern (GS) men opens a four-game road trip at Texas State Thursday. The contest is set to tip off at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN+ and the Georgia Southern Sports Network.
It's the first meeting between Georgia Southern and Texas State since Feb. 20, 2020. The teams were not scheduled to play in 2020-21, the COVID shortened season, and last year's scheduled meeting in Hanner was canceled because of COVID.
It will be the first meeting between the teams with Brian Burg at the helm of the Eagles. The lone current Eagle who was on the 2019-20 roster is Johnny McFatten, but he did not play against the Bobcats in 2020.
This is the the lone meeting between the Eagles and Bobcats this season. GS is in a stretch in which it plays six of eight games on the road. GS is 2-3 in its last five and coming off a 58-52 home win over Georgia State Saturday afternoon.
How to Watch
Date: Jan. 26, 2023
Site: Strahan Arena (10,000)
Tipoff: 8 p.m. ET
Series: GS leads 8-4, L1 | Division I Series History
Listen: GS Sports Network - CLICK HERE TO LISTEN ON Statesboro's Eagle 94.9
#0 - Kaden Archie
#2 - Jalen Finch
#10 - Carlos Curry
#12 - Andrei Savrasov
#13 - Tai Strickland
• Seven Eagles are scoring seven or more points a game, and only leading scorer Andrei Savrasov takes more than 10 shots a game (10.8/gm). Six different Eagles have led the team in scoring in a game this season.
• The Eagles have notched single-digit turnovers in eight games this season. GS ranks fifth in the Sun Belt in turnover margin (2.4) and third in the league in least turnovers (11.2/gm).
• After not making double-digit 3-pointers in any game last season, GS has made at least 10 triples in three contests this season.
• GS ranks sixth in the league in least fouls (15.8/gm).
• Carlos Curry ranks 11th in the Sun Belt in rebounds (7.0/gm) and Savrasov ranks 13th (6.8/gm).
• Savrasov ranks eighth in field goal percentage (.498) and 12th in steals (1.5/gm), while Jalen Finch is 13th in steals (1.4/gm) and ninth in assists (3.5/gm).
• GS has won its last 29 games when shooting 50 percent or better from the floor.
• GS has won its last four games that were decided by one point.
• The Eagles have used the same starting lineup in the last 10 contests. It's the longest streak with the same starters since the 2018-19 season, when the same five started the final 16 contests.
• The Eagles are 3-5 on the road this season and 4-5 away from home (road and neutral site games).
• The Eagle coaching staff will be participating in Suits and Sneakers Week, the signature initiative of the American Cancer Society and the NABC’s Coaches vs. Cancer Program. The nationwide campaign serves to unite coaches across all levels of basketball to raise funds and awareness about the fight against cancer and promote the American Cancer Society as a source of inspiration and hope for those facing cancer.
• Texas State is capping a three-game homestand by hosting the Eagles. The Bobcats are 3-3 in their last six and coming off a 60-51 home setback to Louisiana Saturday evening.
• The Bobcats rank fourth in the Sun Belt in scoring defense (64.9 ppg). Mason Harrell paces the team offensively at 16.2 ppg, which ranks sixth in the league.
• Texas State was picked second, and Harrell was named first-team all-league in the Sun Belt Preseason Coaches Poll.
• The Eagles continue their four-game road trip at Louisiana Saturday at 8 p.m. ET. The contest will air on ESPN+ and the GS Sports Network.