The Georgia Southern Eagles football team will open Sun Belt Conference play on Saturday, traveling to South Carolina for a battle with Coastal Carolina at Brooks Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m., and the game will be streamed on ESPN+. The game will also be available via radio on the Georgia Southern Sports Network. Here's all you need to know about the game:
Game 5: Saturday, Oct. 1, 2022 • 7:00 PM
Location: Conway, S.C. (Brooks Stadium; 20,000)
Coastal Carolina: 4-0, 1-0 SBC
Georgia Southern: 3-1, 0-0 SBC
PBP: Jeff McCarragher; Analyst: Nate Ross
GS: GAME NOTES (PDF)
Inside The Series
Overall Record GS leads, 5-3
In Statesboro GS leads, 2-1
In Conway GS leads, 3-2
At Neutral Never Met
Chadwell vs. GS 3-1
Helton vs. CCU Never Met
Helton vs. Chadwell Never Met
Current Streak CCU, Won 2 (2020-21)
Last Meeting CCU 28, GS 8 (2021)
Longest GS Streak Three (2006-2010)
Longest CCU Streak Two (2020-21)
Largest GS Win 17 points (2006 & 2010)
Largest CCU Win 20 points (2021 in Statesboro)
- This will be the ninth football meeting between Georgia Southern and Coastal Carolina in a series that dates back to 2006. The Eagles lead the series 5-3 after Coastal won 28-8 last season in Statesboro.
- The Chants have won two of the past three games against GS played in Conway, 28-17 in 2017 and 28-14 in 2020. The Eagles won 41-17 in 2018 at Brooks Stadium.
- In 2007, Georgia Southern went to Brooks Stadium and came away with a 42-34 win behind a combined 459 yards rushing from Jayson Foster (253 yards, school-record 6 TDs) and Lamar Lewis (206 yards).
- The Eagles are 66-27 against teams from the Palmetto State and have nine players from South Carolina, including starting safety Anthony Wilson, who hails from Columbia.
- •Clay Helton is 4-3 in conference openers.
Countdown to Kickoff
10: Georgia Southern is 10th in the FBS and tops in the Sun Belt with an average of 509.5 yards of offense per game. The Eagles are averaging 322.5 passing yards per game (15th in FBS) and 187.0 rushing yards per game (42nd in FBS).
9: Eagle quarterback Kyle Vantrease is already ninth on the school's single-season passing list with 1,290 yards through four games. The record is 1,852 set by Antonio Henton in 2008.
8: Georgia Southern and Coastal Carolina have met eight previous times with the Eagles leading 5-3. Coastal has won three of the past four contests, including two of the past three games played in Conway.
7: The Eagles have had seven offensive plays of 40 yards or longer this season, four via the pass and three via the run.
6: Jayson Foster scored a school-record six rushing touchdowns in the 2007 win at Coastal Carolina.
5: Coastal Carolina is one of five teams Georgia Southern quarterback Kyle Vantrease faced in his final 14 games at Buffalo.
4: Georgia Southern is fourth in the FBS in third down conversion percentage at 60.6 percent (40-for-66).
3: The Eagles have lost two of the past three games at Brooks Stadium after starting off 2-0.
2: Chants junior all-conference quarterback Grayson McCall has yet to play against Georgia Southern in his career, missing each of the last two games with an injury.
1; Georgia Southern went a school-record 182 passing attempts before giving up its first sack of the season, coming in the fourth quarter of the fourth game of the season.
Oct. 8 at Georgia State - Atlanta, Ga. - 2 PM - ESPN3
S 5' 10" 200 lbs Redshirt Sophomore @AnthonyWilson_4
QB 6' 2" 225 lbs Sixth Year