The 61st COVID death was reported in Candler County today. Candler has had 35 PCR deaths & 26 Rapid Antigen deaths. Candler County is also reporting a 14-day average of 102 positive cases per 100,000 citizens & a 7-day percent positive of 5.6%. Wear a masks, social distance & wash your hands.
GS Student Creates Vaccine Lapel Pins to Encourage Vaccinations – Order Yours Now - Click here to read the Story
DAILY COVID REPORT DIRECTORY
- WHITE HOUSE COIVID TASK FORCE RECOMENDATIONS FOR BULLOCH
- HELP FAMILIES STRUGGLING WITH COVID
- SUBSCRIBE TO GRICE CONNECT DAILY BRIEFING DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
- BULLOCH VACCINE LOCATIONS
- BULLOCH COVID TESTING OPTIONS
- BULLOCH COUNTY DAILY REPORT
- CANDLER COUNTY DAILY REPORT
- EVANS COUNTY DAILY REPORT
- BULLOCH SCHOOLS AND UNIVERSITY REPORTS
- GA TECH COVID-19 RISK ASSESSMENT TOOL
- DO YOUR PART - PURCHASE A VACCINE PIN NOW
LOVE GRICE CONNECT? CHIP IN TO SUPPORT HYPERLOCAL NEWS AND INFORMATION
WHITE HOUSE COVID TASK FORCE BULLOCH RECOMMENDATIONS:
HELP FAMILIES STRUGGLING WITH COIVID
Daily we hear stories of friends and family members who are fighting death, trying to beat COVID. Please reach out to family members who have loved ones struggling with COVID and do something for them. They need your prayers but they also need your support and help.
Get this report and all of the news of the day delivered to your inbox every morning at 6 am. It is free and a great way to stay informed
Providers are asking for citizens who who need a second dose to PLEASE NOT CALL providers unless you are within THREE days of your vaccines second dose timeline. For Moderna the minimum is 28 days from first dose and for Pfizer the minimum is 21 days after your first dose. Vaccines & supplies are increasing and there should be plenty for everyone to receive their second dose.
BULLOCH VACCINE LOCATIONS:
- Bulloch County Health Department - CALL (855) 473-4374
- EGRMC - CALL EGRMC at 912-486-1811
- Forest Heights Pharmacy - CALL 912-489-7979
- McCook's Pharmacy - CALL - (912) 764-2223
- Nightingale Infusion - FIRST DOSE ONLINE FORM - SECOND DOSE firstname.lastname@example.org
- Southern Family Medicine - (912) 290-5235
- Statesboro Pediatrics and Family Healthcare Center Inc - Call (478) 299-8444
- The Prescription Shop - CALL (912) 764-6454
- Total Health - CALL (912) 871-7890 or EMAIL Ambassador@statesborototalhealth.com
- Walmart - both locations - Click Here to Schedule
- Vaccine Locations Source: https://dph.georgia.gov/locations/covid-vaccination-site
The Southeast Health District has reopened it's COVID-19 Vaccine appointment scheduling, this includes the Bulloch County Health Department. If you are part of the vaccine Phase 1A+, you may call 1-855-473-4374 to schedule an appointment to receive your COVID-19 vaccine. At this time, eligible individuals include those aged 65 and older, law enforcement personnel, fire personnel, staff and residents of long-term care facilities and healthcare workers in clinic settings. More information is available at www.sehdph.org.
- DO NOT WALK INTO PROVIDERS EXPECTING A VACCINE
- YOU MUST HAVE AN APPOINTMENT TO GET VACCINATED
- DO NOT CALL PROVIDERS TO SCHEDULE A SECOND VACCINE APPOINTMENT. THE PROVIDER WILL CALL YOU TO SCHEDULE YOUR SECOND DOSE APPOINTMENT
- CONTACT PROVIDERS ONLY IF YOU ARE WITHIN 3 DAYS OF YOUR VACCINES SECOND DOSE DUE DATE AND HAVE NOT HEARD FROM THE PROVIDER
- PHIZER DUE DATE IS A MINIMUM OF 21 DAYS FROM YOUR FIRST DOSE AND
- MODERNA DUE DATE IS RECOMMENDED A MINIMUM OF 28 DAYS FOR THE SECOND DOSE
- SUPPLIES ARE INCREASING - PLEASE BE PATIENT - EVERYONE WILL BE VACCINATED
Bulloch COVID Testing Options
- Monday through Friday and 2nd and 4th Saturday
- Monday and Wednesday 8 am to 3 pm
- Tuesday and Thursday 10 am to 6 pm
- Friday 9 am to 4 pm
- 2nd and 4th Saturday 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
Local doctors' offices and urgent cares can provide PCR COVID testing and some have rapid testing capability. However, only a few are providing the rapid test to the general public and the price for testing varies based on insurance from $85 to $175 for rapid testing locally.
LUETTA MOORE PARK and East Georgia Heath Care, which is a federally subsidized clinic, are the two free options for PCR testing. DPH only offers PCR testing and they require you to complete an online questionnaire to determine eligibility for testing.
East Georgia Health Care - PCR - FREE, Rapid Antigen testing - $40
Statesboro Urgent Care - PCR, Rapid Antigen testing - $85 with Nurse visit/$125 with doctor visit
Statesboro Total Health - PCR, Rapid Antigen testing and Rapid Molecular testing
Applecare - PCR, Rapid Antigen and Rapid Molecular testing
South Georgia Immediate Care - which is now St. Joseph's Urgent Care - PCR, Rapid Antigen testing
CLICK HERE FOR Region J Hospital Bed and Ventilator Usage
Act as though EVERYONE is Positive in Bulloch County
This is definitely the case now in Bulloch County. Local leaders are pleading with ALL Bulloch counties to operate for the next few weeks as if EVERYONE you come in contact with is positive. It is imperative that we all wear masks, avoid crowds and social distance. Please reconsider gathering with large groups including church and funerals.
Bulloch County Report
- 1 COVID positives reported today. This includes 2 PCR positives and -1 rapid antigen positives.
- 95 deaths which include 52 PCR test positive & 43 Rapid positive deaths reported for Bulloch
- 9 at EGRMC with COVID-19 (May or may not be Bulloch County residents.)
- 2 COVID-19 patients on vents at EGRMC
- Bulloch County 14 day average of positive cases per 100,000 is 132 and 7 day average of percent of positive tests is 8.1%. (Targets are below 100 per 100,000 and positive tests at 5% or below) THESE ONLY INCLUDE PCR TEST - DPH DOES NOT INLCUDE ANITIGEN POSITIVES IN DAILY REPORT BY COUNTY. YOU SHOULD ASSUME THE NUMBERS ARE WORSE THAN DPH IS REPORTING.
- EGRMC has 17 total vents. However, this is reporting only COVID-19 patients on vents. It is unknown how many actual vents are in use at this time at EGRMC
- Hospital Stress Report: East Georgia Regional Medical Center
- The ratio of COVID-19 hospitalizations to total beds gives a picture of how much strain a hospital is under. Though there's not a clear threshold, it's concerning when that rate rises above 10%, hospital capacity experts told NPR.
- Anything above 20% represents "extreme stress" for the hospital, according to a framework developed by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington.
- If that figure gets to near 50% or above, the stress on staff is immense. "It means the hospital is overloaded. It means other services in that hospital are being delayed. The hospital becomes a nightmare," IHME's Ali Mokdad told NPR.
- Those thresholds are a bit higher for ICU capacity. IHME says when 30% or more of ICU beds are occupied by COVID-19 patients, it indicates a hospital is operating under "high stress." Facilities greater than 60% are considered at "extreme stress."
Candler County Report:
- 2 COVID positives reported today. This includes 2 PCR positives and 0 rapid antigen positives
- 61 total deaths of Candler residents which include 35 PCR positive and 26 rapid positive
- Candler County 14 day average of positive cases per 100,000 is 102 and the 7 day average of percent of positive tests is 5.6%. (Targets are below 100 per 100,000 and positive tests at 5% or below) THESE ONLY INCLUDE PCR TEST - DPH DOES NOT INLCUDE ANITIGEN POSITIVES IN DAILY REPORT BY COUNTY. YOU SHOULD ASSUME THE NUMBERS ARE WORSE THAN DPH IS REPORTING.
Evans County Report:
- 1 COVID positives reported today. This includes 0 PCR positives and 1 rapid antigen positives
- 25 total deaths which include 15 PCR positive and 10 rapid positive
- Evans County 14 day average of positive cases per 100,000 is 94 and the 7 day average of percent of positive tests is 6.3%. (Targets are below 100 per 100,000 and positive tests at 5% or below). THESE ONLY INCLUDE PCR TEST - DPH DOES NOT INLCUDE ANITIGEN POSITIVES IN DAILY REPORT BY COUNTY. YOU SHOULD ASSUME THE NUMBERS ARE WORSE THAN DPH IS REPORTING.
Bulloch Schools, Colleges and University Report
Bulloch County Schools
Georgia Southern University
- Updated weekly on Monday. Click link below for totals:
East Georgia State College
- Updated daily/weekdays. Click link below for totals:
Ogeechee Technical College
- Updated weekly on Monday. Click link below for totals:
BULLOCH LONG-TERM CARE FACILITY REPORT
BULLOCH, CANDLER & EVANS COUNTIES COVID-19 DEATHS
About This Report
DPH Not Reporting Rapid Test Positives in Daily Numbers
The numbers we are reporting daily from DPH are not telling an accurate picture of what is really happening in our community now. The primary issue is Georgia DPH's refusal to follow the White House's COVID task force recommendations to combine all positive test results. Currently Georgia only reports a positive case if it is done by the PCR method, not rapid antigen test.
The PCR test is now taking 48 to 72 hours to get results back. The rapid test takes only minutes. After pressure from health care providers and media, DPH began reporting the number of rapid positives statewide daily and by county on a weekly basis.
On Monday, we get the rapid test positive numbers for the last seven days. However, DPH continues to refuse to use the total positive cases to calculate critical indicators, like percent positives, which allow citizens and leaders to determine the seriousness of the outbreak. This makes it appear that the COVID outbreak is not as severe as it may actually be.
DPH Definitions of Deaths
“Confirmed Deaths”: This number includes confirmed COVID-19 cases that were either reported to DPH as deceased by healthcare providers or medical examiners/coroners, identified by death certificates with COVID-19 indicated as the cause of death, or there is evidence that COVID-19 contributed to the individual’s death.
“Probable Deaths”: This number includes individuals who are antigen positive or individuals with compatible illness and known close contact to a case that were either reported to DPH as deceased by healthcare providers or medical examiners/coroners, identified by death certificates with COVID-19 indicated as the cause of death, or there is evidence that COVID contributed to the individual’s death OR individuals with a death certificate that has COVID-19 indicated as the cause of death and there is no laboratory evidence for SARS-CoV-2.
White House Task Force Recommends Including Rapid Test Results
Georgia is not currently combining molecular (PCR) and antigen (rapid) test results, which is recommended by the White House COVID Task Force. Instead Georgia reports them separately daily statewide and provides county antigen positives on a weekly basis. With the rapid accessibility of rapid testing, this will greatly impact the number of positive cases.
In last weeks White House report they explained that antigen tests perform well in the highly infectious window and will be effective in identification of asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic infectious cases.
• Antigen tests do not perform well after 8-10 days post infection when nucleic acid cycle times are greater than 30.
• All antigen results must be reported with both the number of positive results and total tests conducted; positives must be reported as COVID cases.
A special thanks to Dr. Frank Davis, M.D. F.A.C.S, a retired trauma surgeon who lives in Bulloch County. He has worked closely with the Grice Connect team to design the COVID-19 dashboard and provide brief interpretation of the data. You will be seeing and hearing more from Dr. Davis as he continues to help us monitor the COVID-19 impact locally.
Thanks for supporting and following Grice Connect.