This week, Speaker of the House Jon Burns (R-Newington) announced his appointments to the Georgia Council on Literacy and the Georgia Farmland Advisory Council. These councils were created by legislation passed during the 2023 session of the Georgia General Assembly.
Georgia Council on Literacy
- Rep. Chris Erwin (R-Homer)
- Rep. Chuck Martin (R-Alpharetta)
- Rep. Matt Hatchett (R-Dublin)
- Rep. Becky Evans (D-Atlanta)
- Rep. Mesha Mainor (D-Atlanta)
- Dr. Yancey Ford – Superintendent, Effingham County Schools
- Dr. Whit Meyers – Member, Screven County Board of Education
- Carlette Fulcher – Teacher, Rincon Elementary
- Jeanne Seaver – Literacy Advocate
Created by Senate Bill 211, the Georgia Council on Literacy will conduct comprehensive reviews of birth to postsecondary programs, the alignment of state support for such programs and other issues related to improving the literacy outcomes of Georgia students.
Georgia Farmland Advisory Council
- Rep. David Huddleston (R-Roopville)
Created by Senate Bill 220, the Georgia Farmland Advisory Council will advise the Georgia Department of Agriculture on the Georgia Farmland Conservation Fund Program.
Further information about these councils may be found at https://legis.ga.gov.