Join the Statesboro YMCA this month in their ‘FUN RUN’ against the number one killer in Georgia: heart attacks. Walk! Jog! or Run! in honor of a loved one on February 10, 2024 at 9:00 am. All proceeds will directly benefit the only Phase 3 Program in Bulloch County. (See more on that below.)
This is more than just a ‘Fun Run,' though.
“It's personal," says Hannah Beggs, Statesboro Branch Manager at Statesboro Family YMCA. "Heart Disease runs in my family, and I have lost loved ones to a heart attack and I know unfortunately many of you can say the same or know of someone that struggles with heart health. Let's come together in honor of our loved ones for a cause in the ‘Statesboro Heart Run’ on February 10th. Thank you!!"
2024 Statesboro Family YMCA Heart Run Details
The 2024 Statesboro Heart Run is set for Saturday, February 10, at 409 Clairborne Ave in Statesboro. The three-mile run/walk event, organized by the Statesboro Family YMCA, is dedicated to raising awareness and funds to combat heart disease, the leading cause of mortality in Georgia.
As the premier sponsor, East Georgia Medical Center underscores its commitment to community cardiovascular health. Joining in support are Tandoor and Tap, Vino 1910, Statesboro Golf Carts, BootLiquors, and Southern Insurance & Annuities, as sponsors.
Hannah Beggs, Executive Director of the Statesboro Family YMCA, shared additional details about the event: "All proceeds from the Statesboro Heart Run will directly benefit our newly launched Phase 3 Cardiac Rehabilitation Program, a collaborative effort with East Georgia Medical Center and Georgia Southern University. This program strives to offer free cardiac rehabilitation services to participants, ensuring comprehensive care for those recovering from heart-related issues."
With community support, the Statesboro Family YMCA will be able to expand its Cardiac Rehabilitation Program, improve awareness of the value of cardiac rehabilitation, promote best practices to increase cardiac rehabilitation participation, and reducing barriers to participation, which are all critical steps toward meeting the goals of enriching the spirits, minds and bodies of youth and adults, while improving quality of life.
"We're excited to announce that participants will receive red shoelaces, symbolizing our collective commitment to heart health. On race day, we'll also feature a table where participants can create name bracelets in honor of loved ones, adding a personal touch to the run,” noted Beggs.
Registration for the 2024 Statesboro Heart Run is open, with an entry fee of $30 available until race day, and $40 on the day of the event. The event welcomes participants of all levels, urging the community to come together, lace up their running shoes, and run/walk for their lives.
For more information and to register, please visit The Statesboro YMCA on Facebook, or contact Hannah Beggs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Statesboro Family YMCA Cardiac Rehab Phase 3/Heart Works Program
Heart Disease and strokes are the leading cause of death in the state of Georgia and affect more than 22,000 Georgians per year. The Statesboro Family YMCA offers a free 12-week program to people in our community that have completed Phase 2 Rehabilitation at East Georgia Regional Medical.
• Cardiac rehabilitation significantly lowers the risk of death for those with qualifying diagnoses or procedures.
• Attending cardiac rehab extends life and reduces the likelihood of heart attacks and hospitalization. It also aids recovery, enhances medication and activity management skills, and lowers the risk of depression.
• Despite eligibility, not all referred patients enroll in cardiac rehabilitation. Healthcare teams, patients, and family members can take steps to ensure referrals lead to enrollment and sustained participation.
• Women, minorities, the elderly, and those with other medical conditions are less likely to be referred to cardiac rehab.
• A strong physician recommendation increases participation likelihood. Healthcare professionals can enhance participation by reinforcing recommendations, identifying and referring eligible patients, implementing automatic referrals, and following up post-discharge.
About Statesboro Family YMCA
The Statesboro Family YMCA is committed to building a stronger community through programs that promote youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. The 2024 Statesboro Heart Run is one of the many initiatives aimed at fostering a healthier and more connected community.